Hiring a skilled iOS developer can significantly enhance the quality of your app, resulting in a better user experience, more downloads, and potentially higher revenue. However, finding the right developer for your project requires a well-planned hiring process.
This article outlines steps to help you hire an adept iOS developer, along with nine crucial interview questions to ensure you pick the best candidate.
Define Your Requirements
Before you start the hiring process, you should have a clear understanding of:
- The scale and complexity of your app.
- The specific iOS technologies and tools you'll be using.
- The level of experience required (e.g., junior, mid-level, senior).
Look in the Right Places
Popular platforms to find iOS developers include:
- Online job boards: LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed.
- Specialized tech job boards: Stack Overflow Jobs, GitHub Jobs, Dice.
- Freelance platforms: Upwork, Toptal, Freelancer.
Evaluate Portfolios and Previous Work
An iOS developer's previous projects can tell a lot about their skills and style. Look for:
- Quality of design and functionality.
- User reviews and ratings.
- Variety and complexity of projects.
Before the actual interview, conduct a technical screening to assess the developer's coding skills. This can be through coding tests or practical tasks.
The interview should gauge both technical acumen and soft skills. While technical questions will dominate, don't underestimate the importance of communication skills, team fit, and problem-solving abilities.
Conduct a Technical Test
After the interview, it might be helpful to assign a small coding task. This offers a practical demonstration of the developer's abilities.
Talking to a candidate's previous employers or clients can provide insights into their professionalism, reliability, and work ethic.
A developer might be technically sound, but if they don't align with your company's culture and values, collaboration can become difficult. Make sure they fit well within your team's dynamics.
9 Key Interview Questions for iOS Developers
1. Swift and Objective-C: "Can you discuss the key differences between Swift and Objective-C, and why you might choose one over the other?"
2. Memory Management: "How does Automatic Reference Counting (ARC) work in iOS?"
3. Concurrency: "Explain Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) and its importance in iOS development."
4. Design Patterns: "Which design patterns do you frequently use in iOS development and why?"
5. App Lifecycle: "Can you describe the lifecycle of an iOS app and the significance of its main states?"
6. Networking: "How do you handle API calls and ensure data integrity in your iOS apps?"
7. UI/UX: "Describe a situation where you had to optimize an app's user interface for better user experience."
8. Testing and Debugging: "Discuss your approach to testing iOS apps. Are you familiar with TDD or any other methodologies?"
9. App Store: "Have you ever faced a situation where your app was rejected from the App Store? How did you handle it?"
Hiring an iOS developer requires a blend of assessing technical proficiency and ensuring a cultural match. By following a structured process and asking the right questions, you'll be well on your way to finding the perfect developer for your project.
Need help finding the right talent for your project? Reach out to us, we can help!